Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Blowing off Steam

How do you break into the tech world with 15 yrs of plumbing experience?

That’s a good question, and one that I hope to answer soon.

I am still looking for the classic “in.”  I know it can be done.  I have heard tales of lesser men who lie their way into tech positions.  These guys had no idea about anything regarding computers, the internet, or technology in general—yet, somehow they possess the “schmooze” element that gets them in.

I have sent out many resumes and cover letters to various organizations, with no feedback at all.  My cover letters tend to illustrate my tech achievements despite my plumbing experience.  Still, it is an uphill battle that I am determined to win.

I will get in.

Somebody will see the advantage of hiring a settled man who is a quick learner and self-starter over hiring some kid fresh out of school who parties too much and takes everything for granted….

Bitter, am I?  I am trying not to be.  I just need a job, and I want to do the computer thing…

Meanwhile, I am putting together a web site for me that will demonstrate my skills, at the same time studying for A+ certification, while simultaneously recording and mixing my music, concurrent with honing my culinary skills…

Idle hands are the devil’s workshop…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home